The bicycle may be the most efficient means of transportation ever created, but if you are like us, you likely use your bike for recreation as well. After years of traveling with bikes, we asked ourselves what is the best way to get them from one place to another?
To find out we’re going to look at some of the best roof, rear and hitch-mounted bike racks on the market and give you a rundown on them. Check out our full review of their features & benefits below.
Thule ProRide 598
Roof bike rack
Upright bike carrier for the quickest, most convenient mounting – for bikes up to 20 kg.
- Automatically positions your bike when you secure it, thanks to the uniquely designed frame holder and wheel tray.
- Quick and easy bike securing – the torque limiter dial controls the force going into the bike frame with a clear sign of correct mounting.
- Pressure is spread via large, soft claw pads that adapt to your bike’s frame tubes – minimizing the risk of frame damage.
- Safe mounting – your bike is prevented from falling thanks to the claw’s extended lower jaw.
- Stable wheels – firmly fixed in smartly designed wheel holders with diagonal quick-release wheel straps.
- Easy, tool-free interface for switching carrier from one side of your car to the other.
- Maximum bike weight up to 20 kg.
- T-track adapters (20x20mm) are included for mounting on Thule WingBar Edge, Thule WingBar, Thule SlideBar, and Thule AeroBar. Fulfills the City Crash norm.
The Bottom Line
The ProRide 598 is definitely a contender for the fastest mounting bike carrier. our favorite feature is having the mechanism to tighten the jaws at eye level where it’s easiest to reach.
Thule ThruRide 565
Roof bike rack
The fork mount carrier designed to fit all thru-axle diameters without extra adapters.
- One-handed throw-hood design fits 12 mm to 20 mm thru-axles and 9 mm quick-release hubs (with included adapter).
- Easier bike loading thanks to expanding wide-jaw clamp that accommodates a bike’s thru-axle, with no loose parts.
- Ergonomic precision dial ensures a secure grip by optimizing clamping pressure on thru-axles.
- Also suits bikes equipped with disc brakes.
- Maximum weight of 17 kg per bike.
- Lock your bikes to the bike carrier and your carrier to the load carrier (locks included).
- For bikes with 9 mm quick-release hubs, use the Thule ThruRide 9 mm Adapter accessory to lock the bike to the bike carrier.
- T-track adapters (20x20mm) are included for mounting on Thule WingBar Edge, Thule WingBar, Thule SlideBar, and Thule AeroBar.
- Fulfills the City Crash norm.
The Bottom Line
Thule has come up with a brilliant design to accommodate the increasing variety of axle widths on the market. If you don’t factor in the time it takes to remove the front wheel, then this is the quickest system we’ve seen to date.
Let us know what you are looking for! We have a fantastic range of bike racks in stock & ready to be fitted to your vehicle. Based upon your needs, we will recommend the best product for you & even fit it to your vehicle. Give us a call on 1300 133 353.